There’s no denying that hyaluronic acid’s (HA) surge in popularity is more than a skincare trend: within a few years, HA has successfully anchored its place as a household name. It’s not all marketing, I’m happy to report: hyaluronic acid is one of those key skincare ingredients that are genuinely worth the hype… when used properly.
But before we dive into how to get the most out of your HA products: let’s outline the benefits of hyaluronic acid.
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a molecule that naturally occurs within the body and is responsible for contributing to your skin’s bounce and elasticity (alongside collagen and elastin, which are also found in your skin).
In skincare, hyaluronic acid acts as a humectant. Its primary function is to help skin retain moisture, drawing in and holding onto water at a cellular level to achieve that smoothing effect. In fact, hyaluronic acid can hold up to 1000 times its weight in water—which is why it’s considered one of the most effective hydrators for all skin types.
Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid
- Replenishes cell moisture to visibly plump skin
- Softens the look of fine lines and wrinkles
- Helps restore healthy barrier function
- Prevents moisture loss
When to Use & Apply Hyaluronic Acid, According to a Derm
Hyaluronic acid can be used every day, twice daily, no matter your skin type. (Still, you should always patch-test your products, especially if you have sensitive or reactive skin.)
If you’re naturally dry or have dehydrated skin (especially after a full day out and about or in the sun), you may have felt as though an HA product left your skin drier than it was before. This is because hyaluronic acid attracts water, pulling that hydration from wherever it can—typically from its external surroundings or from deep within the skin. If that moisture isn’t sealed in properly (or if the molecule is forced to draw water from within because there’s no moisture in the air), skin is bound to feel tight, dry, and uncomfortable.
KINLÒ products that contain hyaluronic acid are designed to prevent this from happening. Both Always Golden Daily Moisturizer SPF 40 and Sun Spot Brightening Moisturizer are water-based face creams formulated to give the HA something to pull water from—and feature a host of nourishing oils and emollients to lock in moisture.
A few more tips on maximizing your hydration, especially when using skincare with humectants:
- Start with damp skin. Apply Always Golden Daily Moisturizer on freshly washed skin while it’s still dewy, and give your face a liberal spritz of Hydrating Golden Mist before going in with Sun Spot Brightening Moisturizer.
- Seal it in. If you’re dry or prone to dehydration (especially during the colder months), add Hydrating Facial Oil to your routine. Mix a few drops directly into your moisturizer or layer it over your face cream; this extra step will help lock in all that hydration.