If you’ve recently started incorporating sunscreen into your routine or often forget to reapply SPF throughout the day, UV Detection Stickers are precisely what you need.
They’re cute, of course, but these KINLÒ stickers aren’t just for decoration: they’re designed to indicate when you’re vulnerable to sun damage. When you’re indoors or properly protected, the stickers are white. If they change color, you know you need to reapply: blue serves as your first reminder, whereas purple means you’ve been overexposed to UV rays.
How to Apply UV Detection Stickers
- Start with a clean, dry surface. You can apply it directly to your skin or on any surface that’ll be exposed, like your water bottle, tote bag, or jacket. Make sure you’re indoors away from the sun, or else the sticker will change color instantly (since you haven’t applied sunscreen yet).
- Apply your favorite mineral sunscreen. Apply over the UV Detection Sticker as well—even if it’s on an object. (Think of this object as an extension of yourself!) Let your SPF dry for 15 minutes before heading out.
- Pay attention to your sticker. Reapply SPF as soon as it’s purple. Once your sticker turns white again, you’ll know you’ve applied the proper amount of product. One sticker tends to last the day but if you’ve been in the water or you’re sweating, apply a fresh sticker.
- Recycle your sticker once you’re back indoors. Follow a post-sun recovery routine to replenish and soothe your skin.
- Wearing sunscreen is a year-round, all-weather affair …even in winter or on cloudy, rainy days. If you know you’re prone to forget or simply unsure when it’s time to re-apply—especially without the sun’s presence as a reminder—apply a sticker so you know when it’s time.
- You’re allowed to make it easier for yourself. No matter how blendable the sunscreen, it takes a minute to work with fluid or cream formulas. I love recommending this mineral sunscreen stick with SPF 30 to clients: the solid formula holds well (you can keep it in your bag witout worrying it’ll spill), its smooth texture applies seamlessly without adding shine, and you can use it all over, head to toe. It’s great for on-the-go use.
- Keep a pack of stickers within reach. The more accessible these UV Detection Stickers are, the easier it will be to keep up good skin habits—like, re-applying your sunscreen.
- Remember the golden rules of suncare. UV Detection Stickers are a great guide, but protecting your skin doesn’t just stop at sunscreen. Take additional precautions, like:
- Limiting sun exposure or seeking shade between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. when the sun’s UV rays are at their strongest
- Maximizing coverage by wearing a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses with 100% UV protection, and sun-protective UPF clothing (or if these aren’t readily available to you, tightly-woven long-sleeved shirts or long pants in a dark color are an alternative option)
- Being mindful of where you are: surfaces like water and sand can reflect UV rays, so look for shady spots to situate yourself!